Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Non-Writing Side of Writing

I'm working on my Ganzfield website today, trying to get the text set, adding "buy the book" options, removing all of the fictional filler material that came with the website. Seriously, it's like the picture that comes with the frame; GoDaddy apparently believes people too stupid to figure out what to put on a website or something.

E.g., the contact form states:
Enter some text here about the contact form and what will happen after the user fills in this information and submits it.

Or perhaps they just think *I'm* too stupid. There's a thought.

I'll post a link here in the blog once the site is awesome. Right now, it's bare wood and there's plaster dust everywhere.

Although the contact form now reads:
After you fill out and submit this form, ninjas will show up at your house in the middle of the night. But you will never see them, because they are ninjas.

If you write just because you love to write, you don't have to do anything else. But, if you want people beyond your close friends and family to read your work, if you plan to quit your day-job and write full-time, if you have dreams and aspirations of (literary) world domination--well, then you've gotta do the business stuff.

So, I'm building the website and talking to the marketing people and getting copyright permissions and "playing with the pencils and filling out the forms."

5 comments:

Disgruntled Bear said...

Maybe I'll throw a site-warming party. I'm already planning a virtual book-launch party for the blog.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see it. I'm sure "awesome" is an understatement. Wishing you all the best on your site.

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks, Andrea! I have most of the text done, but I'm waiting for the artwork to really make it incredible. I just worked out a schedule with the wonderful artist I commissioned.

Brenda St John Brown said...

Also really looking forward to seeing it! Do you think your virtual book-launch party will have wine b/c I'm happy to bring some and pour generously to celebrate your success!

Disgruntled Bear said...

Thanks, Brenda!

I'll have the finest virtual champagne for my readers!

Actually, I'm going to have autographed copies of the book and t-shirts to give away, at the very least. There are a few surprises that I'm saving for June, as well. It should be fun!